It is important to be free and safe in a relationship, any relationship can be complicated and it’s not always easy to know what you want, or if they are healthy or unhealthy.
Communication is a key part to building a healthy relationship. One of the first sets is ensuring you both want and expect the same things.
Relationships that are not healthy are based on power and control, not equality and respect. In the early stages of an abusive you may not think the unhealthy behaviours are a big deal. Remember that abuse is always a choice and you deserve to be respected. There is no excuse for abuse of any kind.
How it shouldn’t be…
A non caring relationship is when one person dominates and controls another person. An unhealthy relationship includes:
- Your partner gets angry when you talk to someone else
- Your partner is verbally aggressive or physically threatening
- NAME CALLING
- Your partner calls you names, puts you down and makes you feel bad
- Your partner uses force, threats and/or emotional blackmail to make you do things you don’t want to. Maybe even pressuring you to have sex
- THREATENING BEHAVIOUR
- Your partner makes threats to harm you, your family or friends
- CONTROLLING BEHAVIOUR
- Your partner wants control over who you hang out with and/or what you wear
- Your partner is unpleasant or intimately reveals things about you on the internet
…feel afraid of your partner or find yourself tip-toeing around topics of conversation to avoid arguments?
…feel a lack of trust between yourself and your partner, believe all conflict is your fault, or feel isolated in your relationship?
Reach out for help and advice. There are no excuses for abuse. Be true to yourself.
For more information and support in Notts visit equation.org.uk